Monday, January 19, 2004

Off-Shoring & Software Design
I've made no secret of the fact that my company has announced plans to "OffShore" software development jobs. While we have not actually hired a single off-shore developer, I hear the entire initiative has made us much more "effective" "efficient" etc. etc. (This puzzles me but is not germane to my point) Equally puzzling though are the struggles we go through about how we "design" our software. A like minded colleague shared this article on how offshoring affects software design.

http://www.forio.com/outsourcing.htm

Discussions repeatedly turn back to the idea that the source code is the design. If this idea seems completely wrong to you, I would urge you the read the following link titled, "What is Software Design", and it may change your thinking. I note that the author wrote the column 12 years ago -- clearly ahead of his time.

If this is true, then the traditional business mindset that says, "keep the design work here, and offshore the coding & testing" will be the fast-track to project failure. What do you all think?

--"it"