Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Adding Value - Part 2
My last post about "adding value" generated an interesting response from a former co-worker that has been playing the consulting game for some time. I'm going to paraphrase, but it went something like this, "You ivory tower software product types! You want to write 'cool stuff' that nobody ever uses. If you can't get somebody to pay you for what you do, maybe it's time to look for something else!" OUCH!

After the initial sting of this comment wore off, I remember a comment by another former co-worker that was made during my days as a consultant. "Mike, what we need are clients with more money that aren't concerned about deadlines." That's close to a quote. Now to paraphrase, "Let's get paid mega-bucks to never produce." Maybe I've been riding the gravy train for too long? Either way, the other point about in Agile Edge column from my last post that I must now ponder, it is not good business types are even asking the asking the question of whether or not I add value.

What Does it Cost to Add Value
Software Development Magazines Annual Salary survey is out. Check it out to see you how you stand against the rest of industry relative to your age, experience, and geographic location. The last bullet is of course a very relevant one relative to this group.

Another interesting note from the editorial comment from this issue that I was not aware of. Walmart is now the nation's largest employer. This event took place in 1999, and if I read Fortune or The Wall Street Journal more I would probably already know this.